Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Biggest New Fear!

I have to say that staying with Brittney for almost 3 weeks made me much more aware (and scared of) creepy crawly things!  She wrote a post on her blog about our spider adventure, which freaked us both out, but was pretty funny after the fact.  

So I came home and Curt left for a week at Scout Camp.  I was sitting here in the corner of our room using the computer, and finished for the night.  As I turned around I saw, out of the corner of my eye, my most hated creepy crawly thing of all- what I call a Moustache Bug!  And it ran right under my bed!   Aaaaagh!  They are so fast and feathery and just plain gross!  I've never seen one in my room before, but we've had them downstairs, and in the garage.  In fact, last week I saw one crawl under our fridge in the garage, which means now every time I run out to get something out of the fridge or freezer, I have to turn on the garage light and watch where I step with my bare feet!

So , here I am freaking out, trying to find a big shoe and a flashlight, and of course I can't find either one!  What is it about flashlights- they never work when you need one!  By the time I had a working one, one of Curt's big shoes, and a wad of toilet paper, and dared kneel down and look under the bed.....of course it was nowhere to be seen.  I ran around making sure the dust ruffle wasn't touching the ground anywhere, so it couldn't climb up onto my bed in the night.  I refused to think that it might be able to climb the legs of the bed- too slippery for sure!  And then as I'm standing there debating what to do next, here comes a moustache bug running (they're so fast!!!!) from under my desk toward the bed!  I got it with the shoe, scooped it up with the big wad of toilet paper and had it in the garbage before I even quit squealing.  (Nathan was sleeping in the next room- it's a wonder he didn't hear me and come running.)  But then I'm standing here thinking, okay, was that the same one, and he went under the bed and around the edge of the wall and out from the desk???  OR.....is it a new one that just came out of the vent that's under the desk, and he was heading to meet his friend (wife??) under the bed!  Nathan said the next day..".maybe he was heading HOME to their nest under your bed!"  Well needless to say, I said my prayers in bed that night- no kneeling by the edge! and am now sitting at the computer- days later- with my feel still up on a box of file folders.  Haven't seen a bug since, but you never know- one could run across my bare feet as soon as I put them on the floor!  

Last night Nathan and I did some research and discovered that my moustache bug, as I've called them since moving here, (since I'd never seen them before,) and they're feathery.....ew, did I mention that when you mash one, all the legs keep going?  And they leave a brown stain on the carpet!  Anyway, when I googled Moustache bug....I didn't see anything familiar.  Nathan's friend calls them Thousand Leggers, so I googled that and I there it was!






We found out it's actually a House Centipede!  Didn't know centipedes could be so fluffy and fast!  And we found out they're beneficial to homes cuz they eat other undesirable things....but I don't think so!! Now it makes me wonder what else is under the bed that it was feeding on, and did it lay eggs in my room?  I did NOT like learning that they could go anywhere- I wanted to think they were only on the floor.  Here's more info if you're interested!

                     http://bugguide.net/node/view/25

Well, even with my feet up on a box I'm itching all over just talking about it. So I won't be making friends soon with the House Centipede! =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, that was the funniest thing! I love the "going to meet his wife" part. Eeeewww!!! I would die. I'm proud of you for killing the one all by yourself. I hope that was the one you saw before! That picture was disgusting - I think I prefer my spiders!

P.S. I love that you have a blog and can write about funny stuff like this!! =) It made my night.

Anonymous said...

Oops, this is Britt. I guess I'm signed in under Jazmin's name. =)